Tuesday, April 8, 2014

My Grandmother's Daffodils

 
Hello everyone! I hope you are enjoying your Spring!
 
 I had the most wonderful day! The highlight of my afternoon was a tour of my grandmother's garden.  My aunt is now the keeper of the daffodils and does a beautiful job tending her mother's garden.  As you can see, they are  loved from one generation to the next.  A love for gardening runs in the family.
 
 
I love that I can still visit my grandmother's daffodils.
 


 
My grandfather's boot rests peacefully amongst the flowers. 
It feels as if he is a part of this garden too. 

 
 


 
 
"Susan, after I'm dead I'm going to come back to earth every time when the daffodils blow in the garden. Nobody may see me, but I'll be here. If anybody is in the garden at the time they'll just see the daffodils nodding as if an extra gust of wind had blown past them, but it will be I." Anne--LM Montgomery
 
 
I love this butterfly house!
 
 
My aunt told me the daffodil clumps are probably 50 years old. Each clump seemed to have about 50 daffodils in it.
 
 My lesson learned from my grandmother's daffodils is that with gardening it is good to move slow and steady like a turtle, pacing ourselves each year as we enjoy tending our gardens. I've read that you should give yourself at least 15 years for your garden to mature.  It really is a labor of love often passed from one generation to the next.
 
I hope you enjoyed my grandmother's daffodils as much as I did!!
 
Thanks for visiting,
Erin
 


 

8 comments:

  1. This was the sweetest post ever friend! Your grandmother's garden of daffodils is just so amazing! And your grandfathers boot is so very special and cool in that flower bed! I loved it! And I too have a turtle in my garden which reminds me of this...actually it is a reminder for me to slow down and remember that one day I will get there! So much to be learned from this post and how absolutely special is that quote! I hope you have a great week! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely that your grandmothers garden is still be looked after. Sad also that she is not there to enjoy the lovely sight of the daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely - nothing says spring more than clumps of daffodils. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandmothers garden proves that patience is rewarded. How wonderful to have such full clumps of happy yellow daffodils. The flowers in your own garden are quite wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice! I agree that it is a labor of love and should be enjoyed,not work.
    Beautiful post. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your grandmother's daffodils are gorgeous. My very small patch has just started to poke through the earth.

    ReplyDelete