Friday, April 25, 2014

April Showers Bring Morels and Flowers!

 
Hello Everyone!
 
The weather has been perfect here with lots of scattered showers and sunshine! Yesterday I found 65 morels, a personal record! They are so good battered or cooked in an omelet. Almost every afternoon, I slip out the door to go mushroom hunting.  I am grateful my husband works from our home, which allows me the freedom to enjoy a quick treasure hunt in the woods!

 
 
Thomas could eat the whole plate if we let him! He loves morels!

The hostas help fill in the garden beds. Most of the early vaieties are up. I will begin spraying them with Deer Away soon. I mix up eggs, milk, olive oil, water, and dishwashing liquid.  Our dog, Wolfgang, helps keep the deer out of my hostas!

Spiraea Prunifolia

Spiraea Prunifolia
 
 


 
Wolfgang keeps a tight eye on all the activities. He looks forward to feeding the horses and chickens everyday! Such a sweet guy to have around! Just look at those kind and patient eyes! This boy aims to please!
 
 
"Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."
--John Muir
Jack-In-The Pulpit
 
Lamium
 

 
Simba Kitty is eager for our Florida family to return to the mountains!! She can't wait to be an indoor summer kitty once again!! Until then, she rests in the garden.

Yellow Corydalis Lutea
 
 
Snowflake Leucojum Vernum
 
 
I picked these from patches of tulips from years past that still emerge every year. It seems they perform better planted from new bulbs every Fall.
 

 
I have a few daffodils still blooming. I will miss them when they are gone. Please forgive me if I have bored you to tears with them in the last few posts. I really love their beauty!
 
Now, it is off to entertain some sweet girls waiting for me to go play outside with them!! Tough job isn't it? I might just find a showel! Or, maybe a morel!!
 
Happy Gardening!!
 
Thanks for visiting,
Erin
 

6 comments:

  1. How cool to slip away and hunt for mushrooms! And yes Wolfgang is precious! And that deer mixture....how often do you reapply it??? Love the lamium spilling over the rocks!!! Love everything!!! How many acres do you have cause it is just a dream!!! Looks like your garden just rolls on forever!!! Wishing you a lovely weekend friend!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never eaten morels - or found them in the wild - perhaps they don't grow here. You have lots of lovely flowers coming through - I particularly like that beautiful blue spirea. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take such beautiful photographs, Erin, and I see you're one of the clever ones who can go mushroom hunting and know that what she picks is safe for consumption. What a treat the morels must have been.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos, Erin! I'm jealous of those mushrooms :) Larry came back empty-handed today. We did have a good mess the other day, thank goodness. Maybe we'll get lucky and find some more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pictures.
    I am with Thomas as far as eating morels is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those mushrooms look so good! I am with Thomas on that one too. :-)

    ReplyDelete