Monday, May 5, 2014

Wolfpen Run Wood Duck

 
Hello!
I hope you are loving these May days as much as I am! Green grass, bird song, wild flowers, morel mushrooms, and little pansy bouquets from the garden are making for some sweet, early May days!
And many more happenings to put a spring in my step!
 
 
 
 
This is a native West Virginia orchid, Galearis spectabilis. Such a delicate beauty!
 
 
Native Foam Flowers...

 
Lamium...

 
Allium...

 
And a Wolfpen Run Wood Duck...
 
 
 Just as I was stepping out on our deck this evening, I looked down to our stream (Wolfpen Run) to see the most beautiful thing, a male Wood Duck! Oh, he is a beauty with those red eyes and stunning markings! We have seen female Wood ducks on our pond, however, this is our first male sighting. He was quick to fly off as I had startled him. 
 

 
Morning and Cupcake enjoy the security of the chicken coop, occasionally they brave up and venture to the water.  I think they should make friends with the Wood Ducky! Or, perhaps these three...
 

 
I spotted these beautiful eggs and nest along the creek bottom. All the birds are busy, busy building nests wherever you look!
 
 
Wolfpen Run, a natural haven for ducks wild and domesticated! I hope to see Mr. Wood Duck again soon!
 
Wishing you a wonderful week!
 
Thanks for visiting,
 
Erin
 
 
Also, the orange newt in my last post is a Red Eft Newt. 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Your Wood duck is gorgeous - you are blessed to have such wonderful scenery and wild life around you. Such a pretty tea cup arrangement too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an enchanting place to inhabit. I love seeing all your flowers and wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Wood duck is stunning! And look at that waterfall! Goodness it is just pure magic where you are! And I am loving the plants coming up! Just beautiful pal!!!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Wood ducks. They have such amazing beauty.
    I love your backyard. You have a gift taking photos. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin you have a lovely blog. Those pansies in the tea cup are so sweet. I see you are in Virginia. Are you experience a 'normal spring'? I'm in central Canada and everything is at least three weeks behind here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pansies are my favourite spring flowers. The wood duck is handsome, but Morning and Cupcake stole my heart. Love their names. Babies are always hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love me some pansies. Wolfpen Run is a gorgeous stream and I'd be thrilled to see the wood duck as well.

    ReplyDelete