Friday, May 9, 2014

Garden Tour

 
 
Hello Everyone! I hope you are enjoying your May days! Mine are flying by too quickly!
 
The garden is sure coming into bloom here! I thought I would take you on a quick tour... 
 
 
My daughters planted these morning glories in February and they are doing well. We planted them in front of a clematis with the intention of morning glory blooms after the clematis blooms in the spring. Last year, we planted morning glories in the vegetable garden and admired their blooms through October.
 
 
This garden has gone through a lot of changes as it is a challenging area. Or, really, it is a favorite shady spot for the dog and stands a lot of abuse, thus making it a difficult spot for the gardener to keep tidy! The bench makes it more welcoming. Wolfgang (our dog) should be pleased; he loves to sleep behind the yew shrub.
 
columbines and hostas...
 
 
 
Emmylou keeps everything well watered!! She is a big help and loves her job!

 

 
I am debating planting around the pond. Perhaps some yellow and purple siberian irises? We stocked the pond this spring with large mouth bass, bluegill, catfish, minnows, and sunfish. The fish love the grasses around the pond, which makes me think they would also love irises and waterlilies.
 
 
Galearis Spectabilis, native WV orchid

 
This side of our home is an old schoolhouse. Two rooms are original with wormy chestnut walls. My husband gave the exterior a fresh coat of paint last summer.  Homeschool is still in session here!

 
I found a very late daffy!

 
The Vibernums are such beautiful, easy-care shrubs. They are also easy to propogate by layering mulch over a lower branch until it roots, then snipping it from the mother plant and replanting it somewhere else. A great way to make free plants! Hydrangeas also are easy to propogate this way.


 
The rhododendrons are starting to open! The native WV rhododendrons (our state flower) blooms in early summer. They grow well here in the river bottom.
 
Euphorbia and hostas...

 


 
Thomas loves having big sisters and they adore him!
 
 
Between my mother and aunt, I am beginning to have quite the collection of brown dishes! Most of them say McCoy USA... I had fun arranging them on this shelf and taking a picture.
 
Wishing a Happy Mother's Day weekend to all those that do a bit of nurturing in their days!!
 
Have a wonderful weekend!
 
Thanks for visiting,
Erin

9 comments:

  1. Your garden tour is just outstanding friend! Boy do I really like that shady spot with the bench it is just beautiful! And I say go for the irises! How wonderful that you have a stocked pond! Those are some of my greatest memories as a child....going down to the pond behind our home! And I love the plant combo you have there along the path! Everything is just stunning lady! I am so glad we have connected! A very happy Mothers Day to you as well! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have lots of plants flowering now - your garden year seems to move along more quickly than ours. I have Morning Glory seedlings in the greenhouse but will have to wait before planting them out in case of late frosts - mine are dark purple. It is lovely to see hostas without any slug damage here they proliferate and spoil the plants. Have a great weekend - our is going to be full of showers unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In New Zealand, Morning Glory is considered a noxious plant, it spreads to easily and smothers our native trees. I still think it is a beautiful flower. How big is your property, you seem to have so many different garden rooms and spaces. Loving those hostas too - do you need to use snail bait to keep them looking so good?
    Hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, you are so far ahead of us! Everything looks wonderful. Those girls look like they are having so much fun. Hope your Mother's Day was great.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your home, garden and property are so beautiful. The hostas really caught my eye and the rhodie is going to be gorgeous. It is nice to meet you, Erin. I am so glad you came to visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow ~ we are still trying to turn green here in Wisconsin. :-) Looking at your photos is a true treat. Spring is coming very slooooow!
    I love your home. I would love to learn more about how you purchased an old school house. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly are surrounded by beauty around your home, Erin. I find it interesting that part of your house was once a school; it would have so much character.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Irises and waterlilies would look wonderful in and around your pond. How wonderful that your daughter takes an interest in the garden and likes to water the plants. The Vibernum is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete