Monday, July 14, 2014

July Garden Tour

 
Hello everyone!
 
This is the time of year when I take such pleasure in my hostas, daylilies, and hydrangeas--when all the colors really pop in the garden. I love watching the hummingbirds, bumblebees, and butterflies creep into the flowers to enjoy the pollen and sweet nectar. It seems they love the hosta blooms best. Thankfully, I have many hosta blooms as the gardens around the house are mainly deep shade.  Walking up to the pond, the hollow widens and we get more sunlight. My veggie garden is located up the creek from our home where we get a bit more sun. We have about 40 acres, mostly mountainous with steep terrain and some flat creek bottom. Lots of wide open space to play in the dirt!

 
I have been working on my shade garden. Moving some hostas and ferns here and there...
 

 
 
I keep my daylilies in this former veggie garden where I can pick and divide them often.  I have moved my vegetable garden to a better location, although this year has not been the best veggie year for me. It has been really dry here.



 
 
"Bloom where you're planted," --Mary Engelbreit
 

 
hostas as a ground cover...

 

 



 
 




 
 
 
I look forward to these Limelight hydrangeas. My Nikko blues and Endless Summer took a hit from the cold weather this winter and aren't blooming this year. My blue hydrangea pics are from last year.
Did anyone else have this problem?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
I hope you enjoyed this photo tour as I have been gardening in this spot for almost 9 years now, making many mistakes and finding some success...hostas seem to do best for me, so I plant them everywhere and spray them to keep the deer at bay!
 
Happy Gardening!
 
Thanks for visiting,
Erin
 

6 comments:

  1. Erin!!!!!! Your space is just outstanding!!!!! You literally have an arboretum and it is stunning in every way!!! Love that fence and the bridge!! Wow! And as for what the winter did to my garden the list is long and my blushing bride hydrangea hasn't bloomed either. We have had way to much rain by us which is opposite of you. Some of my plants are a bit yellow actually. Well I really enjoyed the tour! What a magical place!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, everything is just beautiful! You have a lovely collection of daylilies among other things! I also really think that little pot on the old (ladder?) looks wonderful! Such an interesting addition. Really caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, what beautiful gardens! And that bridge is really something. you've got the touch for sure. My hydrangeas barely survived the winter, only one bloom but I'm just happy to still have my bush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your lovely comments, Erin. Good luck with your irises. They are a little extra work, with having to move them and divide them, but they are well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving all your daylilies and hostas. There is so much to see in your garden. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your tour immensely! So many plants I used to grow, but since the move, wont be growing any longer - I really enjoyed yours!

    ReplyDelete